Once Bitten...

*** I have resumed re-writing & posting those updates which Google had lost some months back. Once I'm finished with my April "butterflies" project I will unveil my new blog over at Wordpress. *** Much love to all, bobby 2011-09-14

Inspiration, joy, beauty, Oneness, the spark of recognition...

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day84 - The Musical Brain

I absorbed an amazing documentary today "The Musical Brain", focused on cognitive neuroscientist Daniel Levitin and his study of how music affects the brain. The study involved scanning "master musician" Sting's brain while listening to various types of music and composing.

The interview with Wyclef Jean contained an enlightening way of looking at the adoration of musicians, citing as an example; the light and intensity in one's eyes as an instrument is played, that the viewer may - consciously or otherwise - desire to elicit that emotion, considering the notion "what if I were that instrument?". I love this idea. I can see it from both sides.

This was apparently on oz commercial tv last week, but not owning a box I had to search for it online. Most of the video I watch is via word of mouth, which is a great filtering mechanism. The only downside I've found is not understanding references to commercials... a very small price to pay. On the plus side, when I happen to chance upon an ad playing on a friend's tv, I find them mostly entertaining.

I've also got my hands on Levitin's book This Is Your Brain On Music - next on the reading list.

-

Had this song bouncing around in my head for a few days.

The Pixies - Holiday Song

-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...